Bamboo Flooring Cost
In recent years, bamboo flooring has gained popularity due to its Eco-friendly nature, natural beauty, durability and ease of maintenance.
Whilst doing your research on the cost of bamboo flooring, it is important to understand why you might see a wide range of prices for bamboo floors.
There is generally a very good reason why you would find marked price difference between one bamboo floor quote versus another.
The cost of a bamboo floor is determined by many factors.
We have listed 5 worth mentioning:
- Grade - the quality and grade of the bamboo flooring should be considered before buying it. It may appear the same on face value, but there are undoubtedly different qualities/grades of bamboo flooring available to the market. Be sure to discuss the quality, source, warranty and installation practices with the supplier.
- Formaldehyde Emissions – The quality and type of resins used in the manufacturing process impacts directly on the price of bamboo flooring. During the manufacturing process, resins are used to bond the bamboo strips together to form the floorboards. All resins have an organic compound known as formaldehyde which acts as a preservative in the glues. Style Plantation bamboo flooring products meet the Australian standard of achieving a ‘low-formaldehyde emission’ product level of less than 1ppm formaldehyde.
- Structure – is another important factor in determining the cost of a bamboo floor. For example, more raw materials are used in the manufacturing of a strandwoven bamboo floor and it also undergoes a much lengthier manufacturing process than vertical or horizontal bamboo floors. This leads to the higher production costs which ultimately result in a higher price.
- Similarly, a vertical bamboo floor is comprised of more bamboo strips than a horizontal bamboo floor. As a result, most of the bamboo manufactures charge a higher price for the vertical structure bamboo floors. The colour, age, and type of bamboo plants also dictate the price of the bamboo floors.
- Finish - The price of a bamboo floor can also be determined by the finishes that are used in production process of a bamboo floor. Poor quality finishes can peel, split, crack or chip and may also contain volatile organic compounds which are emitted as gases. Exposures to volatile organic compounds can cause serious health problems. Style Plantation bamboo flooring products are finished in a quality European finish known as the Treffert® Nature coating system, which are solvent and formaldehyde free.
- Installation Practices - Finally, and often the most important and overlooked factor in determining the cost of a bamboo floor, lies in the installation practices that are followed when installing a bamboo floor. A bamboo floor is a significant investment and you want to be assured that you will enjoy the floor for time to come.